Thursday 23 January 2014

SO, SUCH, TOO, ENOUGH


Too

Use: Too means there is a lot of something. It shows a negative opinion.
It’s too hot = It is very hot and I don’t like it.

Form:
  • You can use too before an adjective.
It’s too cold. My trousers are too small.
  • You can also use it before an adverb,
You walk too fast. James speaks too quietly.
  • Before a noun, use too much (uncountable nouns) or many (countable nouns).
I ate too much food.
I ate too many sandwiches.
  • You can also use too much after a verb.
I ate too much.
Paul drinks too much.

Enough




Use: Enough means you have what you need.
We have enough food for everyone = everyone has some food.
We don’t have enough chairs for everyone = some people don’t have chairs.
Form:
  • Write enough before a noun.
We have enough chairs.
  • But write it after an adjective or verb.
Are you warm enough?
He’s qualified enough.
She isn’t tall enough to be a model.
You don’t work hard enough.
Are you sleeping enough?
  • Sentences with enough are sometimes followed by to + verb infinitive.
I’m not tall enough to reach the book.
I haven’t got enough money to buy that coat.

So
Use: So means very.
It’s so hot!

Form:
  • So is generally used before an adjective or an adverb.
He’s so funny!
He plays the piano so well!
  • However, in modern English, it is increasingly being used before nouns and verbs.
That dress is so last year! (= That dress is last year’s fashion)
I’m so going to shout at him when I see him! (so = really)
  • So can be used with a that clause, to show a result of the first clause.
I was so hot that I couldn’t sleep.

Such

Use: Such also means very. Such is used before an adjective and noun.
They are such nice children.  

Form:
  • A / an, if necessary, go after such, not before.
That’s a such pretty dress. => That’s such a pretty dress!
  • Like So, Such can be used with a that clause, to show a result of the first clause.
It was such a nice day that we decided to go to the park.

Common mistakes
1) Some students use too with a positive meaning. But use so or very here
It’s too hot! I love the summer! => It’s so hot! I love the summer!
2) Some students write enough in the wrong place.
Do we have sugar enough? => Do we have enough sugar?
3) Some students use so / such…that incorrectly.
It was so hot that the sun was shining.
This sentence is not correct because ‘the sun was shining’ is not a direct result of ‘It was so hot’. The hot day did not cause the sun to shine

No comments:

Post a Comment